Sunday, April 12, 2009

Red Chili Halibut, Rice Noodles and Red Cabbage Slaw

I love southeast Asian flavours. Coming from the meeting place of so many great food cultures, they give you the rich curries and spice hit of India, the umami explosion of China, and the combination of coconut milk, limes and lemongrass that could exist nowhere else. I hope to go there on day, but until then, I'll just have to be content with restaurant takeout and my own attempts at replication.



This recipe is very simple. I marinated the halibut in some lime, garlic, and chili pepper, and broiled it. Barbeque would be great as well, but it's still too early for that here! The seasoning was nice, adding some flavour, but not masking the wonderful halibut taste.

For the noodles, I fried red curry paste, onion, garlic and mushrooms together. After a few minutes, I added some coconut milk (but not so much that it became a very saucy curry), soy, a taste of brown sugar, and some lime. I reduced the sauce, then threw in some chopped bok choy, making sure not to cook in for so long. Then I threw in some chopped cilantro and served all of this over noodles.



On the side I made a slaw with red cabbage. It's essentially just red cabbage with some onion, carrot, squeeze lime, garlic, mint and basil. Usually I add cilantro, but I had run out, so I used arugula instead. Obviously a very different flavour, but delicious nonetheless! A light and delicious meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment